* 30+ years of law enforcement experience
- 4 years as Jailer and Deputy Sheriff in Martin County
- 26 years NC State Highway Patrol (22 years in Currituck) (tenured as Sergeant)
- 2 years as Police Officer with Vidant Company Police, now Sergeant
* Graduate of Martin Community College
* Advanced Law Enforcement Certificate, NC Department of Justice
* 20+ years as Field Training Officer
* Training and Certifications in many areas, some of which include:
- First Line Supervisor
- Responding to Domestic Violence
- AR15 Rifle and Handgun
- Terrorist Awareness
- Responding to Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Executive Protection
- Officer Survival
- Dealing with mental health issues
- Pursuit driving
In addition to law enforcement, I am a dedicated family man. My wife and I have raised 5 wonderful children...well, we're still raising...the last one is a Senior at Currituck County High School. Although each of them has done many good and noteworthy things in their lives, I believe their characters are what set them apart. Just ask any of their teachers or school administrators, and I guarantee you'll get a great response!
My wife, Nell, is a busy lady. In addition to being a full-time mom, she has two businesses...she has taught piano for more than 20 years, and she has a soap-making business under the name of She Sells Sea Soaps. We both stay busy with various callings and activities in our church and in the community.
Probably my most fun (and sometimes challenging) activity outside of law enforcement has been as a Scoutmaster for many years. I have taken many boys on hikes, climbing trips, bike trips, campouts, and other high adventure activities. We once hiked 50 miles down the Appalachian Trail in 4 days! All 3 of my sons achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, of which we are very proud.